Sometimes clients will say to me in the middle of a conversation, “whatever it is you do?” They usually are kidding, and mean no harm by it. They like me. They like us. However, for the most part, they really don’t know what we are doing. People view SEO as some sort of black magic, trickery, or gaming Google to get where you want to go.
But it is anything but which-craft.
Proverbs 13:5 The righteous hate what is false, but the wicked make themselves a stench and bring shame on themselves.
A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes – Charles Spurgeon
SEO is not a lie. Or black magic. Or the thing that my website guys does. Or nothing.
It is something, and it is something good. In recent years, before he stepped aside as CEO of Google, Eric Schmidt said something that was very revealing about Google. He said “if we wanted to we could do many things with the vast amount of data we collect. However, we would betray trust. All we have to do is betray trust once, and Google has serious problems.” Therefore, they would never betray that trust.
Understanding this makes navigating SEO much easier. You know you should follow the rules. And Google lays out the rules. And not in a 3000 page book somewhere, but in an easy to ready layout of pages that explain their policies. On pages like this one https://support.google.com/webmasters/answer/35769?hl=en
So how does Local SEO work? It works like this;
- You are somewhere, so be there. Promote that you are there, make “there” your thing. Own it. Would we know where “Cupertino” was if it wasn’t for Steve Jobs? Use your address and your city everywhere. Make sure all your listings online reflect that 1 address. Make sure your website reflects where you are.
- Make sure your website has original and descriptive content about your areas of expertise, products or services.
- Make sure your website is properly coded. Google views code errors like spelling mistakes in a powerpoint presentation.
- Create well crafted Title & Descriptions for every page.
- Utilize social media
- Maintain a healthy backlink outreach strategy
- Promote your brand offline
- Write articles and self publish on your website
- Choose your domain wisely
- Find an SEO company you can trust, and stick with them
This is a list basics your should follow.
At Leads Near Me our recent findings have concluded that you should employ a local, “from your address first” approach to SEO. Start by focusing on your main city and own your current city and area. We used to have an approach which said, go after the biggest city in each DMA and own that area. However, most clients, especially in a city like Atlanta are not interested in ever going into Atlanta. They really want a radius around them. They want “leads near me” (sorry had to slip that plug in). So starting with their city and adding cities close to their main area makes tons of sense. Also, and this is certainly not scientific (but a hunch) based on Google’s propensity for AI and the evolution of RankBrain, it stands to reason that their search engine is getting better and better at knowing where you are, and better at knowing who you are.
Dig deeper into some of the themes listed above. Each is an extremely vast topic that, if you are interested in SEO, you can continue to dig deeper into it.
Ryan is the President & CEO of Leads Near Me. He has spent the past 27 years in marketing working for companies like AT&T and Cumulus Media before founding Ryan Burton Marketing in 2012. Ryan is a talented recording artist, who loves hockey and his wife Kathy and their 3 kids. The Burton’s reside in Dacula, Georgia